I know it’s a sombre thought, but unfortunately, we must all die. It’s inevitable. However, what we do up til that point is called LIFE and by jove that can be a fun thing!! But of course, that is dependant on how you wish to live it…….
I think my life has been pretty full of good, fun events. I’ve seen many things (the power and beauty of a thunder-storm at sea from a Thai paradise beach), done many things (danced in Brighton with half a million people to one of the greatest DJ’s til the small hours of the morning for free) and experienced a great deal (the feeling of standing and touching a stone or building shaped and raised by people thousands of years ago). But there are still so many things I want to see and do.
So, just to waste a bit of time before I go into another mind numbing meeting, here are a few things I must do before I die (not necessarily in order):
- Parachute jump – I’m terrified of heights (well, falling from them anyway) but I have to try this. The rush of the air flying past your face, feeling the adrenaline pumping the moment before you jump……….
- Climb a mountain – I’m not talking about Scafell Pike or some other little hill, I’m talking about one of the big boys, a proper expedition type climb.
- Go and live with a different society to mine – Now any western country does NOT qualify. I’m from the UK, so going to France or Italy or even Australia doesn’t count. I’m talking about a completely different way of life, a family from Mumbai, a village in Papua New Guinea or a tribe in Brazil. A place where the food is totally alien, the activities are so strange and the views and beliefs confound my mind. How else to experience life?
- Take part in the San Fermin Festival, Pamplona, Spain – This festival is infamous for the Running of the Bulls. It’s a crazy idea, but basically, they let a load of bulls run through the streets of this tiny Spanish village and you have to run in front of them (while hitting them with a paper baton if you’re so inclined).
- Ride a train through India – I’ve seen it on countless tv programmes and movies, a train rolling through the beautiful Indian countryside, people hanging out of doors, stopping at remote places and having to run after the train when it leaves without you…….. Probably be real cramped and uncomfy, but hey, it’s a small price!
- To get a Sak Yant tattoo by a Buddhist monk – Not everyone likes tattoos or agrees with them. I, however, love them. But thats not the reason. The reason being is it’s so much more than just being tattooed. It’s part of a religious, cultural event that has gone unchanged for centuries.
- To see my children grow up – This one is a bit mushy, but my wife is carrying my first child and, although I am scared, it is a really exciting point in my life and I pray that I’ll be fit and able to watch him/her grow up, fall in love, succeed and fulfill their own list of Things to Experience.
- Do charity work – This is going to sound like a total cop-out, but I don’t seem to find the time in my life to do any sort of charity work. But in the future, I’d like to do some volunteer work in this country and abroad.
- Take part in a mega long road trip – I watch Top Gear and I’m always sooooooo jealous of their road trips, I’ve watched the Gumball Rally and would love to get in a nice car and travel across a continent, taking in all the sights and sounds of local life (possibly from London to Singapore or something)
- Life – Sounds a bit of a strange thing, but life is THE MOST exciting experience in itself. I can sit here and list all the things I want to do and try, but my biggest one is just to live my life.