You know how it goes, you hear a song and it conjures up a scenario in your head. Or you’re in a situation and you think “that song should be playing in the background right now”. Well, here is a list of my choices. Please feel free to give me your choices and opinions:
1. You’ve just been dumped. They’ve dropped you real hard. They know it and they love it!
SONG: Elton John – I’m Still Standing.
Says it all I think….. “I’m still standing after all this time
Picking up the pieces of my life without you on my mind”
2. Somebody very close to you passes away. You feel lost and hurt. There is only one choice in my mind
SONG: Eric Clapton – Tears In Heaven.
This song is perfect purely on the basis Eric wrote it following the death of his four-year-old son, Conor, who fell from a window of the 53rd-floor New York apartment of his mother’s friend, on March 20, 1991. Can more meaning and heart be put in a song?
3. Let’s liven proceedings. You’re in the local pub. It’s karaoke night. People are singing terribly and no-one is interested. You need a tune to get everyone going and get them singing along.
SONG: Don McLean – American Pie.
Who doesn’t know this song? Who doesn’t love it? It’s one of those songs you cannot help sing and tap your foot too. Sing it at any pub karaoke and you’ll be a hero. Guaranteed.
4. It’s a hot day. The sun is shining and you’re cruising in your car. Windows are down and life is good.
SONG: Will Smith – Summertime
The peak of summer songs. The music is chilled and laid back like a summer’s day, but a vibe to keep you nodding and grooving. The words reflect on everyone’s up bringing (American or otherwise) in one fashion or another.
5. The most revolutionary (and I think hypocritical) song. It instills a desire to change the world and man-kind for the better
SONG: John Lennon – Imagine
The words could have been wrote by Marx himself! I think the communist lyrics are there for all to hear “imagine all the people, sharing all the world.” “imagine no possessions” “imagine there’s no heaven” “imagine there’s no countries”. Amazing song, but if a man believed this, how come he had loads of money, possessions and didn’t practice what he preached?
6. Car full of your friends on the way to a party and everyone’s bouncing. You need a tune it get all in the spirit.
SONG: Queen – Bohemian Rhapsody.
Everyone knows and loves this song. In the top 5 greatest of all time. Without question. And if you’ve seen the Wayne’s World scene, you’ll know why it’s applicable to this situation.
7. You’re friends hen do. The girls are all there and in walks the muscle-bound stripper. Only one song will do
SONG: Madonna – Like A Virgin
It’s girl power before the Spice Girls knew what puberty was. It’s a woman in control over the man in a way only women know how. C’est perfect!
8. You’ve had a bad day. everyone’s been on your back and you’re feeling down. You need something to make you smile and cheer you up.
SONG: Monty Python – Always Look on the Bright Side of Life
The pure comic genius that is Monty Python cannot fail to raise a smile. The black knight scene in Holy Grail is hilarious. But it doesn’t come close to one of the funniest moments in film history. The crucifixion in Life of Brian. We will never have comedy like this again.